Saturday, December 31, 2011
Tips to Avoid a DUI Arrest
As you prepare to celebrate the new year, The Jail Report wants you to be happy. But not THIS happy.
This is 37-year-old Christina Kurdziel of North Augusta, arrested Thursday for drunk driving in Richmond County. She was stopped when an officer saw her failing to maintain her lane and pulled her over, according to jail records.
Tonight, we want you to take lots of pictures of your festivities. Just don't make it necessary to have your picture taken by a jailer.
Remember these tips:
1. Set your limit before you start drinking.
2. Eat something before you start drinking.
3. Drink plenty of water – if you have a beer and then a water and then a beer and then a water... you'll be drinking less beer. But remember, the only way to completely avoid a DUI charge is to abstain from drinking alcohol.
4. Wait until you get to the party. If you're already drunk by the time you get to the party, what kind of shape will you be in when you leave?
5. Eat dinner before you leave home. You need a full meal in your stomach to help keep you alert and slow down the effects of the alcohol.
6. Designate a driver. If you can't find someone who's willing to stay sober, then plan on spending the night wherever you're going. And don't plan to sleep in your car! A sleeping drunk behind the wheel of a car is STILL, in the eyes of the law, a DRUNK behind the wheel of a car.
Think! Every year thousands of people are killed by drunk drivers over the New Year's holiday.
And in this area, it doesn't even have to be a holiday. And the person doing the drinking never, ever leaves the party with the intention of going out and killing someone. But it happens. And it could happen to you. And it could be one of your own family members that gets killed.
Have a safe and happy new year!