The Aiken County Detention Center continues to look more like a hospital ward than a jail these days.
Look at the bloody man who was booked into the jail on Wednesday night. This is 37-year-old Steve Conder III of Aiken, who was busted by the South Carolina Highway Patrol yet again for DUI. Jail records show he was also charged with resisting arrest, suggesting the intoxicated man didn't do his face any favors by being uncooperative. They also tacked on charges of driving under suspension (2nd offense) and being a habitual offender.
And when they say he's a habitual offender, they aren't kidding.
Jail records show Steve's been charged with serious offenses in Aiken County every year since at least 2001. Here's a look at the charges he faced each year:
- 2001: Marijuana possession, disorderly conduct
- 2002: DUI, open container, failure to appear
- 2003: Burglary
- 2004: Burglary, possession of stolen goods, disorderly conduct - gross intoxication, brown bagging
- 2005: DUI, open container
- 2006: DUI, marijuana possession, drug paraphernalia, resisting arrest
- 2007: Assault & battery of a high & aggravated nature, criminal domestic violence
- 2008: DUI, solicitation to commit assault & battery of a high & aggravated nature, possession of a controlled substance, criminal domestic violence